- Yeah, I missed Day Two of my plan from just two days ago. I did, however, grade a bit, take my kids to a park, and see the new Lion King movie with the fam. Finished Rainn Wilson’s book just before bed. In short, a full day but no real writing.
- Is this real writing? Discuss…
- I’ve been reading some very well-written but incredibly jarring creative nonfiction from some online students. Even if half of these stories are historically accurate, it’s a long-overdue wake-up call for me as their teacher. We tend to forget the human side of education, especially in online courses where the students are just names on a screen.
- My kids like Fuller House, which is fine for now. The writing is pretty hokey, but I have to remember that I was likely drawn to similarly droll stuff when I was their age.
- In all my spins around the sun, I’m afraid my only invented life-hack is using a candle warmer beside my computer to keep my coffee at an appropriate temperature. Kudos to people who come up with all of the other really good ones out there.
- The missus and I started Pulp Fiction just before going to sleep two nights ago. Damn, I forgot how brilliant every aspect of that movie is.
Month: July 2019
Some Monday ThoughtsStandard
Just a few things on my mind as I’m (slowly) grading stuff online…
- Getting my fiction or poetry published is going to be even harder than I already imagined.
- As I’m reading Rainn Wilson’s autobiography, I am understanding how much dedication to one’s goals is necessary for success.
- Climate change is happening, and we’re really damaging the lives of future generations by bickering about it.
- Misinformation is rampant and destroying original thought and even stifling some from seeking truth.
- Our children are growing up way too fast for my wife and me.
- Observing nature–especially harmless, undomesticated little guys like bunnies–can be a tremendous escape from grading (or whatever it is you do to keep the lights on.)
- I should have started most mornings by adding something to this blog if, for no other reason, so I can say that wrote something each day.
- Perhaps this is day 1 of the idea in #7.
- The new collaborative album TINY CHANGES, which includes cover tracks by many amazing musicians of Frightened Rabbit’s 2008 THE MIDNIGHT ORGAN FIGHT, is officially my Album Selection of Summer 2019.
- THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY (Netflix series) is really well done, and everyone in my household is excited for Season 2!